I was being deep and reflective this morning and posted something on my status update on facebook – something about “feeling a new expectancy” and feeling pretty good about it – when all of a sudden – facebook being what it is – a number of comments came through teasing me and asking if I was “PREGNANT”!! I laughed at this and it became a joke that Greg and I have been having much fun with today to and from the gym where we both work out. But being that as it may – I was keenly aware of how the word “expectant” has everyone always assuming that it means a woman is expecting a baby – or in other words, “pregnant”. So I looked up the word and here is what it said:
- Carrying developing offspring within the body.
- Weighty or significant; full of meaning: a conversation occasionally punctuated by pregnant pauses.
- Of great or potentially great import, implication, or moment: “It was a politically pregnant time in Poland” (New York).
- Filled or fraught; replete: “This was, from the Party’s point of view, both deplorable in itself and pregnant with danger for the future” (Robert Conquest).
- Having a profusion of ideas; creative or inventive.
- Producing results; fruitful: a pregnant decision.
I like that there are different meanings for this GREAT word that describe so much! But it is also a complicated word – and you don’t just go throwing it around in a sentence. I can’t imagine, for instance – using it in a sentence when teaching my Junior High theater students, “Oh Monica – I see you are pregnant with great ideas!! Let’s see if we can make that happen!” Can you just imagine the looks and laughter I would get? And yet – to be “pregnant” is an adjective and has such great depth of meaning. It is highly overlooked because of the bias surrounding it.
I also looked up “expectant” – the word I used this morning on my status update. Here is the definition:
- Having or marked by expectation: an expectant look; an expectant hush.
- Pregnant: expectant mothers.
Now I really like this. Have you ever experienced “an expectant hush’? I know I have! That is what I am feeling today. It is a feeling that there are AWESOME things ahead – and somehow over the last year – I have lost sight of that. I have some great friends in my life right now that are reminding me of this fact. I am in daily communication with them as we encourage each other and keep each other grounded and full of expectancy and lots of love and laughter!
I challenge you today to be “open” to receive some “expectancy” in your own life. Allow others to speak to you words of hope and wisdom. Be open to love in ways you never thought possible as you give away some love to others today. There’s nothing better for you – nothing healthier than a kind loving word between friends and nothing else that will make your heart “pregnant” with new ideas and challenges – as you spur someone else on – in love! Two hearts that carry a heavy load are always better than one. Find some laughter to help lift that load today.