Five things I learned today:
1. Never assume that you can pull/push/lift as much weight in the gym as a previous person on the machine has. What a SHOCK when first using the machine – if you don’t adjust. (Those MEN!!!)
2. Never be intimidated by men in the gym. They serve only to scare women into thinking they are wimpy. And it works.
3. Never workout on the elliptical machine next to two men – even if one of those men is your husband. It’s just wrong.
4. Never compare your heart rate to your neighbor’s. My heart rate is a good 20 beats higher per minute than Greg’s is – and that’s just standing still. On the elliptical – FORGET IT!
5. Never take your hands off the ‘heart sensor’ – or it will yell at you. For me it is good to push past the ‘normal’ perimeters of what is ‘safe’ or normal on the machine – because my heart rate is always faster than normal. And I’m okay with that. I have to make the adjustments and be okay that I’m weird.
Greg tells me that I have the ‘heart of a hummingbird’ – and I guess that’s the way it is just going to have to be. As long as I can have the ‘soul of an artist’ then all is well.