Lately I’ve able to customize music apps like Spotify and iHeart Radio.
I like a wide variety of music – but there are certain things that I always come back to. Music with a “folk/pop” feel. Artists like Joni Mitchell, Billy Joel, James Taylor, Elton John, George Michael, Kenny Loggins, Carole King and Carly Simon are always the ones I play again and again. Lately I’m drawn to Josh Groban, Sara Bareilles, Coldplay, Regina Spektor, Phillip Phillips and Jon McLaughlin because of their great uniqueness and well thought out ballads.
I feel like there has been a revival of great songs and artists from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. I hear my students requesting songs from my youth and my heart swells with pride! They don’t realize that the “cover” they are hearing is just a cheap copy of the real thing that I grew up with. But that’s okay. Great songs stand the test of time for any generation and I welcome these covers with open arms. Songs like “River” and “Your song” are great in any decade.
I’ve never liked mainstream “pop” Christian music. But I do LOVE anything Michael W. Smith. He is a true artist in every sense of the word – his passion comes through with every lyric he writes and sings. We attended a Christmas concert that he had a few years back and it was wonderful. But he has been around since the 70’s like Amy Grant – tried and true and getting better with time. Probably why I like them. It makes me crazy when I hear too much “popular” Christian music of today – and find myself skipping songs like crazy on internet radio. I guess that’s why I’m pretty good in my own lane of music and if set to one of the above classic artists, I know all that music will be appealing and easy for me to listen to.
All that being said – I find myself being drawn to folk music of the past and present. Acoustic guitar and piano are my favorites. Artists that try to copy Joni Mitchell and James Taylor – who did it so well the first time around – always have my interest.
What music are you drawn to? Does it help set a mood for you when you are working or reflecting? For me I love to write while listening so it needs to be calm and soothing or I keep skipping songs and it breaks my concentration! How about you?
Hope you have a wonderful day – God Bless!
- Josh Groban Shows His Courage In New Video (kymx.cbslocal.com)
- Phillip Phillips (sbyteenreviews.wordpress.com)
- Phillip Phillips (morelikeachild.wordpress.com)
- Regina Spektor Returns To The Greek Theatre (thescenestar.typepad.com)
- Phillip Phillips Releases Music Video for “Gone, Gone, Gone” (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Carole King Musical Will Track Singer’s Life on Broadway (contactmusic.com)
- A Carole King Musical Is Broadway Bound (artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Can Spotify Predict The Grammys? (fastcompany.com)
- Carole King musical eyes Broadway stage (aurorasentinel.com)
- Rocket Man (cindyholman.com)